Monday, April 25, 2011

Easter Festivities

Yesterday was one fun Easter Sunday!! We went to church, came home to get food ready and opened our Easter baskets, and then headed to my grandparents for Easter Sunday dinner with the extended family. The service at church was definitely the highlight! The sermon and music were incredible! My pastor made a really cool analogy in his sermon. 

He talked about how in life we compare everything to ladders. We have to get good grades to get into a good college, so we climb to the top. A’s are at the top and F’s are at the bottom. We have to climb the corporate ladder because the high salaries and power are at the top. We put our two year olds in Spanish classes, ballet lessons, and music lessons because we want them to be well-rounded and ahead of the curve. All we do in this life is climb, climb, climb. To be the best athlete, the best hostess, the best business partner, the best whatever. But Jesus Christ climbed from the top to the bottom. He left perfection and heaven at the right hand of God. He left holiness to come to earth as a man. And then He died on the cross because He loved us. He died to pay the ransom for our sin. He already climbed the climb. And there’s no way we could ever climb our way to heaven anyways. For that reason we need to lay our ladders down and stop climbing. Jesus is our redeemer. 

The pastor has brought a ladder out onto the stage as he started the analogy and as he  prayed to close the service and laid the ladder down. The worship band came back out as he was praying and started the next song. As they got to the chorus the curtain opened and laying at the base of the cross were lots of ladders. It was such an amazing visual. I almost started crying. It was really powerful. They were singing The Stand by Hillsong and it’s been stuck in my head ever since… It was a great Easter service!


Kayla and I received Easter baskets of sorts :) Sarah lucked out with an outfit in addition to her basket!! HAH! My mom doesn’t stick to conventional rules… and we’re ok with that :) I also got tired of sitting around the house in a skirt so opted for pajama pants. Nice touch, huh?


The Easter Egg Hunt at Nana and Poppop’s was eventful to say the least. The yard was soaking wet from all the rain we’ve had recently. There was total confusion about how many hard-boiled and how many plastic eggs everyone was supposed to find. And then she had prizes for certain things… someone’s egg had rocks in it instead of M&Ms…. someone else’s had a 2010 penny… Yes. She went all out. And I was the luckiest of all. Due to the fact that I’m not feeling 100% better and I’m on antibiotics for strep throat AND Tylenol and Advil Cold & Sinus my basket was left on the front porch. I picked it up, mom insisted on a picture, and then I plopped on the porch swing to watch my cousins traipse around the yard. Quite fun :) 


And then last but certainly not least – Family Picture Time! Every year this is quite the to-do because the sun is always in our eyes or it’s too bright out to smile without squinting. The children all hate it but the mothers insist. This year’s actually isn’t too bad!!


Thankfully we got all the outdoor festivities completed before the rain came. Afterwards everyone relaxed, watched the Flyers game, and ate the candy out of their baskets. Sadly, I haven’t eaten anything yet :( I took one bite of a Take 5 and my throat felt like it was on fire!! I can’t wait to be back to my healthy normal self. Strep throat is no fun. At least I’m out of bed and was able to come along today… It was a really nice Easter!!


Hope you had a great Sunday as well! What was the highlight of your celebration?

No comments: