Friday, April 15, 2011

1/2 Off Friday!!

My favorite thrift store has a huge 1/2 off sale one Friday every month… and that Friday was TODAY! Kayla and I got there fifteen minutes before it opened and there was already a line of about 40 people. You have to get a purple sheet of paper and write your name and phone number on it and put it on the furniture items you want and then go get in line to pay. It’s a big deal. And we were reminded to “follow the rules” more than once.

We were pretty smart because we stopped by yesterday morning to scope the place out. I saw a covered storage bench on wheels that I really liked but it was $45 and I doubted it would still be around come this morning. It was in pretty good condition and that was a good price. I figured someone would snatch it up. But guess who did the snatching? Yours truly :) This morning it was still there! So I got this pretty young thing for $22.50. Right now the fabric matches my room, but eventually I’ll get new foam padding and reupholster it.

I had to move my room furniture around to make it fit. I’ve arranged my bedroom about five different ways since I’ve been home. My dad always shakes his head when he sees it a different way. Oh well :)

Kayla said she’s going to start giving me things to fill it. And she already called it my hope chest. I DETEST the term hope chest. I don’t understand it. Why is it called a hope chest? Not a preparation chest. Or a love chest. Why hope? Do people hope you’re prepared for marriage? Does your family HOPE your wedding actually happens and you move out? Are all of the items inside supposed to give you hope for a wonderful life? I don’t know. It makes zero sense to me. And it’s also a bit annoying: “Oh I can’t I wait to put this in my hope chest! Thank you so much grandma!” I don’t know. I just don’t one. But you understand the meaning behind it – please PLEASE let me know!!

So just to be clear: this is not a hope chest. At some point, yes, it may hold items that will move with me to my first home when I get married – but this is NO hope chest. It’s a bench. Or a chest. Or a bench chest. :)  I’m so happy about the amazing deal I got on it!! For now it’ll hold my afghans and extra pillows :)

Hope you have a fabulous Friday and an even better weekend :)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

yayyy fun! i miss you love! come thrift shopping with me : )