Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Bandwagon Wednesday: ABC TV

I started off this week talking about threes so I’m gonna keep up with that theme :)

There are three ABC tv shows written/directed/produced/whatevered by the same lady – Shonda Rimes. They’re all medical/doctor shows. And I love them all.

* DISCLAIMER – I do NOT agree with everything on these shows. AT ALL. I watch it all with a grain of salt. Or a handful.

1. Grey’s Anatomy – I love this one because I think the writers do SUCH a good job of including the whole cast into it. There are so many characters but viewers really get to know all of them. I also think the writers do an incredible job of communicating realistic reactions/comments/events. Hospital Shootings – not super common, but not far out of the realm of possibility these days. Sadly. The reactions to the shootings – DEAD ON. LOVE GREYS. Most of all I love Meredith, Cristina, Bailey, Lexi, and OF COURSE Jackson.

GREYS

Yes. Jackson Avery. You may recognize him as Lena Kaligaris’ love-interest/artist-friend from Sisterhood. Oh you don’t remember him? Let me give you a visual. Ah yes. Jackson.

 jack jack2

HhhOK Moving On!!

2. Private Practice – the Grey’s spin off revolving around Addison Montgomery who used to be married to Derek Sheppard. This show is based in L.A. at a private practice – hence the name. No mystery there. But this show really deals with the ethics of the medical practice. Almost every case has some moral dilemma. And it’s really neat to see how each individual doctor’s previous history and experience shapes their decisions.

PP

Also this cast is just amazingly beautiful. Addison, Naomi, Sam, Violet. Oh, and Naomi (Audra McDonald) was in the one movie adaptation of the musical Annie. And Sam (Taye Diggs) is married to Idina Menzel. They were both in Wicked and Rent. Yes. Amazing. Did I ever mention I love Broadway? Well I do.  And I love Taye Diggs.pp2  pp3

3. Last but not least – Off The Map – this is a doctor show about a medical clinic in Central/South America. The medical supplies are limited. The technology is outdated. The sterilization isn’t ideal. And the doctors are just as damaged as their surroundings. The cases that come into the clinic are SO interesting. One time a wild life photographer fell and broke his pelvis. The only reason he wasn’t bleeding out and dying was because a snake (the kind that suffocates you to death and I can’t remember which kind that is) was wrapped around him. The snake was constricting him to death but was also keeping his body aligned enough so he wouldn’t die. Yeah. Crazy.

Off

Ryan Clark will be familiar to the Twilight fans – she was the original Victoria. And Otis Cole was dating Dr. Bailey on Grey’s last season or two seasons ago – I forget. This cast is pretty neat too – I can’t wait to learn more about them as the seasons pass…

 

Anyways – Grey’s and PP are on Thursdays, Off The Map is on Wednesdays. And they’re all on Hulu. You should definitely tune in. Again, I don’t agree everything – especially their personal decisions. But I’m not the average American either. So yeah. The medical cases and the characters are what really make these shows so appealing. The medical stuff is really really interesting – sometimes a little gross – but SO neat.

Do you watch any or all of these? Whose your favorite character??

1 comment:

Unknown said...

i like greys anatomy. grey is my favorite. she narrates beautifully and even thought the shows if very fictional and robust, it portrays real life stress and emotions better than any other tv show on tv.