Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Bandwagon Wednesday

I have to admit, I am a total bandwagon girl... And, I don't usually fall off the bandwagon unless I have a pretty good reason. And I also don't easily jump on the bandwagon unless someone convinces me and proves to me that it's bandwagon-worth it... Sometimes I realize I was stubborn and I should have loved something sooner, other times I am disappointed because I know I can't be a fan of something I once loved before...


My older sister has always introduced new music into our home and I have, usually, hated all of it. We have very different tastes in music and I am pretty brutal on the stuff she decides is cool.  A few times I have foolishly been 100% wrong. Example: John Mayer. He may not be the most stellar individual but that man is a literary genius. His lyrics are brilliant and his music is so original. Right now my favorite song is off of Heavier Things - New Deep. I could listen to this over and over and over. And a more recent hit that I love: Half of My Heart. I love them, love them, love them. I am absolutely on the John Mayer bandwagon.


As far as a bandwagon I think I am jumping off of: Lady Gaga. Now let me just say - obviously she is different. Obviously she has a much different idea of dress code and public indecency than the rest of the world. Obviously she sings about some not-so-wholesome topics. In her defense - she writes everything. Everything, like John Mayer, is original. She is also an incredible lyricist and she became a worldwide phenomenon over night.

I went to see her in concert with my best friend three days after my birthday this past September, in the Pepsi box suite at the Wells Fargo Center in Philly - FOR FREE - Let's just say it's on the Top Nights of My Life list. The voice you hear on her track over the radio is the exact same thing you will hear at her concert. She is an incredible musician. She sang every single song on The Fame Monster and her voice did not waver once for two straight hours. I was in awe of her. Her music, her voice, her individuality, the fact she likes to keep her private life private, the fact that she stands up for what she believes in (even if I don't necessarily agree with the cause), etc.  It was incredible. Her Grammy performance with Sir Elton John featured my favorite song off of that album: Speechless. And I'm also an Elton John fan - so it was pretty epic. Yes, I will unabashedly admit - I was gaga for Gaga.

Until quite recently. Her most recent single starts off with a feel good message and has some truth to it, but I just can't sing along without realizing how off she truly is. It's true that God makes no mistakes, but He also calls us not to sin. We aren't supposed to run around being proud of it, living a sinful lifestyle... And so the tuesday that Born This Way dropped, a piece of me was slightly disappointed. I had much higher hopes for the rest of the album and figured I would wait for the next single. When her video was released this past monday I had to have a major sit-down talk with myself. Her eccentricities went from laughable and manageably strange to downright freaky, weird, and twisted. While many of her fans have their paws up and are drooling over their new anthem, I am not one of them. I am sad that I need to get off of the Gaga bandwagon. I hope something later allows me to once again be a fan. Here's a few pictures from the concert...cause it was that good.

Right before we left school - we were pretty excited
Someone threw her a phillies hat and she wore it for the middle third of the concert - the place went crazy when she put it on...




Now onto my other love: books.
I read twilight and new moon in two days. I went to the mid-night release of Eclipse, Breaking Dawn, and the DVD release of Twilight. While many people try and prove how lame the books are because of the terrible acting in the movies, they are SO not lame. The story, the characters, the insight that Stephenie Meyer has woven into this saga is brilliant. I am still to this day, hook-line-and-sinker over-the-moon in love with twilight. I can pick up those books and be content any day.


The twilight scorners also seemed to pin the love story against the Harry Potter legacy. As if they could be compared!! I laughed this off because I knew, from friends who listened to HP on itunes every night before bed, that they were nothing alike!

I wasn't allowed to read the books as a child because I was very sensitive and my parents thought the action, violence, snakes, voldemort, etc. might bring back the "night terrors" as they called them. But, this past October I went to my friend Rachel's house for the second annual Halloween Weekend in Lancaster. We watched the first four movies that weekend, watched five and six in November back at school, and I saw the first part of Seven in the theaters with the aforementioned friends from high school. I AM AMAZED by J.K.Rowling. The plot, the details, the characters, the amazing wizard tents/transportation/everything, the good/evil battle. AH! I love it! I know that since I haven't been on the bandwagon since day one - I am unauthorized to see 7.2 that first week in theaters (I'd rather let the die-hard fans see a few times before I get there). But I am on the Harry Potter Bandwagon forrrreal. I mean seriously - I could listen to Ron say Bloody Hell over and over and over. It just keeps on getting better. And Emma Watson - BE-U-TI-FUL!



sooo yeah. I think that sums it up. It was probably agonizingly long to read - but I love bandwagons... I mean I could probably talk about Glee for an hour... but I'll spare you :) but next week you might not be as lucky...

No comments: