Sunday, March 6, 2011

Inspired Interiors: O'Keefe Guest Room

And now for the second installment of Inspired Interiors:

O'Keefe Guest Room

Inspiration: Oriental Poppies by Georgia O'Keefe

This piece is so bold and so beautiful... It would look perfect mounted over a bed.

And two additional prints by Jack Vettriano
In Thoughts of You

Just Another Day

 Interior: Guest Room by Ikea

I love the O'Keefe piece because of its volume - it's loud. If I walked into a bedroom and it was hung on the far wall it would be an immediate statement. The rest of the room would be a subtle accent... like a bride's veil accenting her wedding dress as the perfect final touch.  And so I chose two other paintings to be hung in the guest room to help tie everything together, and also because I just love them...

Vettriano is most famous for his paintings of people dancing on endless beaches with umbrellas... Dance Me to the End of Love and the Singing Butler. You may have seen these in the racks of prints in stores like A.C.Moore and Michael's. While his most popular work is very classy, many of his paintings are not G rated if you know what I mean.... These two compliment the color scheme of the room very well. I love the lighting in In Thoughts of You. I think that the white bed spread and black furniture would re-create the stark cleanliness of this painting. I also loved bringing the Ikea arm chair into the room because the shape is almost identical to the one she is sitting on.  I chose Just Another Day because the ladies' red hat brings the red tones to the room. The wrought-iron gate behind her is also mimicked in the bed frame.  I also love the fact that in both paintings, the women are facing the same direction. They're not matchy-matchy but are aesthetically pleasing. It is also clear that both women are in thought. One may be nostalgic or reflective, while the other may be day dreaming as she goes about her daily routine. I think the mood in these two fits in really well with the purpose of a guest room. The room is supposed to be a place for the guest to feel comfortable and relax, to sort out something difficult, to enjoy loved ones' company, to reminisce on sleeping the same room during childhood, etc.

As far as the other accessories are concerned.... The bedspread has a floral design and the hanging light is also very flower-ish looking. The curved legs of the dresser, bedside table, mirror, vase and tea light holder are directly from the curved petals of the poppies. 

Ceiling Lamp - $29.99
Red Pillow - $3.99
Orange Pillowcase - $4.99
Black Tea Light Holder - $2.99
White Arm Chair - $149.00
Black chest of drawers - $199.00
Queen sized bedding - $39.99
Queen sized bed frame - $179.00
Black bedside table - $79.99
Red vase - $7.99
Clock - $19.99
Orange Throw - $19.99
Mirror -$9.99

At first I really wasn't too excited about this. I am more of a blue girl and felt the Degas design board was better... but after really analyzing my choices and making the connections between the paintings, furniture, and accessories - I love it! I am really into clean, well-lit, pure design right now... so that's why I have chosen white walls in these two designs. I feel like the paintings are so bold that they need to be the focal point. Hopefully soon I'll pick something that I feel would be better accompanied by a colored wall, so I can experiment with that. It could totally be because it's winter and the white snow, bright sun, and hope of clean/new spring is right around the corner. In the fall I am much more into warm, cozy, homey interiors... yeah that sounds good :) we'll blame it on the seasons!!

What do you guys think? Do you like this room?

1 comment:

JMay said...

Wow that top flower pic is beautiful, would def. love to place that above our fireplace or something :-)