Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Bandwagon Wednesday: Karen Kingsbury

I have always loved to read. Most of all, I love to read stories. When I was in elementary school I loved to read mysteries and I read the Little House books… In middle school I read the Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants series, books by Meg Cabot, and eventually was introduced to the world of Christian Fiction. In high school I was recommended a book by Karen Kingsbury and since that day I have not ever refused a book of hers. I bawl, I laugh, I can’t put them down – they’re that good.

My favorite books by her are about the Baxter Family – The Redemption Series, The First Born Series, and The Sunrise Series. They are phenomenal. And there are so many books. Its like a month long or (depending on your reading speed/free time) summer long movie. I highly recommend them.

For Christmas I got Take Two from her Above the Line Series – my mom didn’t realize it was the second book... I also got a Border’s gift certificate and was able to buy Take One in the Philly Airport before we left for Disney this past January. When I got home I bought Take Three…. and then the semester started and my reading time became non-existent. On Monday when Mark and I were in Barnes & Nobles I stopped by the Christian Fiction section, but they didn’t have many of Karen’s books. I was surprised because they usually have at least one of everything. Then as we were walking out they had a whole table of Christian Fiction 50% off – and there sat Take Four. I was so happy that I found it and SO happy it was on sale!!!

Bailey Flanigan was a minor character in the Baxter Family books, was a more prominent character in the Above the Line Series, and now has her own series!!! I have always loved Bailey and will be reading her series next. I can’t wait!!

Karen Kingsbury is a phenomenal author and if you’re in need of new reading material you should definitely try her out. I would recommend Between Sundays, Shades of Blue, and Ocean’s Apart- they’re the stand alones that I’ve read. Between Sundays was the first book I ever read by her and like I said before, I was hooked. The other two (Shades and Oceans) seemed a bit harder to get into… But that may have just been because I read them after the Redemption, First Born, and Sunrise series and was in Baxter withdrawal… There are so many more that I haven’t read… but I have my whole life so I’m in no rush :)

As I mentioned in Monday’s post when referring to the Bachelor – I love happy endings. And the Christian fiction novels that I began reading were all about people meeting, falling in love, trial, blessing, and God’s ordination and control in their lives. They were happy ending books.  The individuals may get married and end up happy, but also have profound life changing experiences that deepen their faith. These books were romantic but also challenging and I loved the stories.  God calls us to “Rejoice in hope, be patient in tribulation, and be constant in prayer” Romans 12:12. I think that Karen Kingsbury really explores the way that Christians can and do live this out as they face trials in their own lives.

You can find out more about Karen Kingsbury HERE. She is also on Facebook and Twitter.

E-mail me if you have read or do read any of her stuff! I’d love to hear what you think!

1 comment:

{ Lana Cox } said...

Cute blog! I love reading too, and have been looking for a new series to get hooked on. Thanks for the suggestion!