Monday, August 22, 2011

Young Love

Disclaimer – This post is sickeningly cute and lovey dovey and very verrryy sappy.
Don’t say I didn’t warn you :)

August 21, 2009

…Was the day after I moved onto campus for my freshman year. I was sitting outside my dorm watching some people play foursquare with my roommate when three boys walked up. I don’t remember much about that specific night: how long we talked, what we were wearing, or introducing ourselves at all… but when it was all said and done I had Mark Kikendall’s phone number and he had mine. I actually got his number for my roommate because she thought he was hot but didn’t want to seem too desperate. I played the outgoing, fun, friendly roommate that just happened to get it for her… The next day the entire freshman class and student leaders that were on campus took the annual trip downtown for a scavenger hunt through Philadelphia. It poured at the end of the day, so we all got seated on the busses early and my roommate and I just happened to sit right in front of Mark and one of his friends. We made plans to hang out that night and unfortunately I don’t remember it at all… but I do have pictures…

018

021;oajdfg

From there on out we spent every day together. Taking notes in the library because we were sharing a psych book, walking the mall, driving to Wawa in his Civic, singing at the top of our lungs…

jennas and marks 019

walking around the campus together at night…

lalala 012

and sitting by the pond during our breaks… (I was WAY in over my head… *swoon*)

September 4th 002

ahh those were the days :) Freshman year. No job. No real schoolwork. No responsibility. Just time, sweet time. We sat together in chapel every day. We texted every day from 1-2 while he was in Intro to Theology and I was free, which is probably why he didn’t get such a great grade in that class. And we spent many hours on benches by the pond talking about life. It wasn’t all rainbows and butterflies. In fact, there was quite a lot of turmoil. And it’s all because I was finally free on my own and decided I was going to do what I wanted and not listen to a single thing my parents said, which did come back to bite me in the butt. But somehow Mark and I made it. I’m glad we are where we are today. We’ve been through a lot. And I’m thankful for every storm we’ve weathered. Today I still proof his papers, I still help him study for tests when he asks, we still walk the mall to window shop when we have time, we still sit around talking about life, and he’s still my best friend. It’s nice to travel back through time to the days when I hardly knew who Mark was at all and everything was so new and exciting because I tend to forget the people we were when he was 18 and I was 17… we’ve both learned and grown so much since then.

I’m also thankful for August 21, 2009. And I can’t believe it’s been two years :)

026

^^Seriously… I had no choice. No choice.

Thank you for working so hard. Thank you for being so sweet and kind. Thank you for putting me first. Thank you for being my best friend. Thank you for loving me.

No comments: