Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Blues

Ever since my Literature & Arts courses in college I have loved visual art. Here are a few of my favorite paintings. The first one if probably my favorite because of the bold colors and many shades and tints of blue that are used. You probably recognize it from my twitter page background. Someday I hope I can hang it in my house somewhere. The second painting is one of my favorites from the Philadelphia Museum of Art. It’s much better in real life. You actually feel like you’re standing on that street with the ships to the left and shops to the right. The third is one of my favorites from school. We spent a lot of time talking about this painting in class: what it means, the vibe it gives, etc. Even thought he’s reached the highest peak he’s looking forward at the next mountains to climb. It’s very optimistic. The next painting is by one of my favorite painters. All of his pieces include one or two or three people in normal settings. He makes the everyday, common, monotonous task seem beautiful and important. Then there’s the van Gogh. Obviously it’s super famous, but I love the bright colors. This one is in my room now. The contrast of yellow and blue makes this one impressive. And finally, the last painting. I love it because I do this all the time. She is sitting there, dressed in black, looking out the window, drinking her coffee or tea. I also love the title of the painting. And there’s my wonderful culturally enriching synopsis. Enjoy.

DEGAS1

art5

art1

ART2

art3

art4

Edgar Degas – Dancer in Front of a Window
John Atkinson Grimshaw – Liverpool from Wapping
Caspar David Friedrich - Wanderer Above the Mists
Johannes Vermeer – The Milkmaid
Vincent van Gogh – The Cafe Terrace on the Place du Forum, Arles, at Night
Jack Vettriano – In Thoughts of You

Which one do you like best?
Do you have a  favorite painting or artist?

No comments: