Monday, August 29, 2011

Irene

I don’t know about you, but by Saturday afternoon I had had ENOUGH of hearing about Irene. People fighting over cases of water in the grocery story? People in suburban Philadelphia boarding up their windows? My mom getting over 30 weather notifications on her blackberry? Yes. Here is PA we don’t get hurricanes that often. So we freaked out. A lot.

Thankfully, this area wasn’t hit too hard. Yesterday the world started coming back outside around noon and the most damage I saw was some flooding and a lot of down branches. I know some people weren’t as fortunate, but here at my house, we fared quite well. And by quite well I mean we ate like fat rats…

Saturday

8:00pm I got home from work. It was raining pretty hard, but not too scary yet…

8:30pm Mark got here!

9:00pm The five of us all sat around talking and eating friendship bread.
Aren’t our reactions to Irene great?

308557_2314944070378_1152738143_2747452_8387113_n

10:30pm We all went to bed.

11:30opm We all dragged our half-asleep selves to the basement because of a tornado warning.

11:50pm We all fumbled our way back to bed.

Sunday

12:00am Dad comes in to tell me that we don’t have to get up at 6:00am because church has been cancelled. He also scares me half to death.

8:30am Mark texts me from the living room: “Is church cancelled? Cause if not I think we’re going to be late. And I’m not even sure if you’re still here. Should I call your mom?”

9:30am Mom starts cooking up breakfast, Sarah mozies down in her cute jammykins, Mark get’s a backrub/footrub/legrub/handrub.

10:30am Dad comes down and we feast on homemade Egg-Mc-Muffin sandwiches, sticky-buns, friendship bread, coffee, and juice.

12:00pm Mark and I venture out to get some back-to-school items and hit the mall so that he has some presentable clothing.

2:00pm Kayla and Bucky come over!! And we eat again… Buffalo chicken dip, salsa, and guacamole with chips. Cantaloupe and grapes. Cheese, crackers, pepperoni.

3:00pm We play a rousing game of Taboo where the girls kicked some serious bootayy.

4:30pm Dinner time. Lasagna with Caesar salad and Texas toast.

6:00pm Mark and I took a walk in the beautiful sunshine and thanked God for the calm after the storm and the coming of fall…

7:00pm We all laid around sprawled on couches because we were fat and stuffed and super lazy. Yes we survived. And also took way too many pictures on his mac.

292804_2315730130029_1152738143_2748320_7548730_n

10:00pm Bedtime.

 

As I tweeted yesterday: All we did today was eat.
And it was marvelous.

Irene thanks for bringing us all together and giving us an entire 24 hours of laid-back, care-free, full-of-food family afternoon :) It was the best end-of-summer weekend…

How did Irene treat you?!

No comments: