Monday, September 19, 2011

What a weekend

I just had the most amazing four-day weekend.

I’m not sure if it was the change of weather that screamed FALL IS FINALLY HERE!! Or the fact that I spent it with my favorite people in the world. Or that God continued to show his goodness and grace and his promises to me over and over all weekend. Or if it was the combination of all three, but this weekend was out-of-the-park amazing.

Thursday I was at the beach with my parents and Sarah. We laid on the beach all morning in the glorious sun. Then headed back to our house once we heard the thunder. We watched the storm from our front porch – it was amazing! Then we went out to dinner to this Italian place my family has been going to forever. And then Sarah and I braved the wind and rain and ran up onto the boardwalk for ice cream. Totally worth it. Once we got back to the house we all snuggled in the living room to watch the Phillies and I called it an early night because I wanted as much time in that marvelous bed as I possibly could get :)

(Can you tell it’s torrentially down-pouring? Well it was…)

Friday when we woke up the storm was gone but it took the heat right along with it… We ventured down to the beach and it was perfect. The air was crisp, but the sun warmed you right up. The ocean was pretty calm so it reflected the sun so brightly. I may have been wrapped in a few towels because the wind made it a bit chilly, but I just couldn’t shake the perfectness of the day. I was surrounded by my family. And that was all that mattered. After a rousing game of Rummy 500 we had lunch and then I packed up to come home. I went to Mark’s house and then we went to his brother’s soccer game. It’s C’s senior year and he’s one of the best players on his team. Nane brought Philly Soft Pretzels and I brought a pair of Mark’s socks for my toes. Again, it was perfect.

(I’m pretty awesome at centering my phone for pictures, huh?)

After the game, Mark and I watched a few episodes of Keeping Up that he’d saved in the DVR for me and then ordered wings. Woo baby were they good. Afterwards we sat outside at the fire with his dad and brother and talked and made s’mores until midnight. We talked about life, work, school, family, friends, plans, dreams, hopes, favorite memories, lessons we’ve learned… everything. And it was so good. We kept adding wood to the fire until we were too tired to keep talking. No wake up calls. No interruptions. No sporting events on TV to watch. Just family.

Saturday started off with an everything bagel and then a trip to the gym followed by pb&j. Gosh, I forget how good that is! My parents went out for dinner for their anniversary and gave Sarah and I money to go out. We, of course, chose Saladworks. And then came home to paint our nails and watch Madagascar 2. I could do that every night, I’m pretty sure…

Sunday I got up and went down to Mark’s for church. The message was so wonderful. It was centered on a passage in Luke that talks about the second coming of the Lord and it reminded me of my freshman year when I sang in the University’s Chorale. One of my favorite songs was a prayer for Jesus’  return and it was the most beautiful song… After church Mark and I went to the Langhorne Coffee House and sat outside in the chilly fall air with our coffee. Brunch was delicious. As usual. Then we headed to his other brother’s soccer game, stopped by the mall for some pantalones, and then went to his cousins’ birthday party. After the singing, candle blowing, and the cake-face smashing of the 9 and 10 year olds, we headed home. And Mark’s mom proceeded to make Chocolate Chip Chocolate Chunk cookies that were out of this world. Mark and I then bundled up in cozy blankets on the couch and read side by side. I was reading for pleasure and he was reading for school, but it was still really nice. To be together but to not be watching TV or talking. Just to be.

I guess nothing really spectacular happened this weekend. Besides the fact that I ate a TON of food. Yikes. HAH! But I just felt so content and so totally happy. I was surrounded by my family. I got to spend hours with someone who loves me. I got to shop, read, watch some soccer and football, and listen to an incredible sermon in church. And everything just kept filling me up. I thought at some point it would stop and I’d deflate and be totally let down, but that never happened. This past weekend was absolutely fabulous. I am so thankful for my parents and my sister. I am so thankful for Mark. I am so thankful for Mark’s family. I am so thankful for the ways that God has blessed Mark and has given him the positive attitude towards his school work. I am so thankful for the way God provided a job for me. I am so thankful that I can live at home with my parents and can come home to them each night. I am so thankful for an omniscient God, who has a plan. So that nothing is by chance or out of control. I am also incredibly thankful for Fall :)

No comments: