Friday, July 29, 2011

The Road to Temple University

Soooo back when Trading Spaces was all.the.rage. I was in the 6th grade. And I came home every single afternoon from school and watched it before dinner. And it was right around that time that my parents took us all to IKEA and my sister and I got metal loft beds and matching dressers and bookshelves, and got new bedding, and moved back in to the big room together. And then a few years later we re-did the basement. And then the entire first floor. And then on my 15th birthday, right after Kayla went away to college, I got my own bedroom for the first time ever and I got to re-do the entire thing. And I was in heaven. I’ve always loved interior design. Always.

So this past May my mom’s dear friend invited me to go with her to the Bucks County Designer House where she had designed one of the rooms. We spent hours walking through the house and around the grounds. I was in my glory. She really thought I had a chance in the business and encouraged me to think about going with her to paint at one of her client’s homes and even maybe submit a design board to have a room at the house next year. That scared me A TON and made me want to run out of there as fast as I possibly could. I told her it would be such an amazing experience and I would love it, but I felt like I didn’t know enough. It was simply a hobby. She mentioned something about Temple University… and I don’t even remember having this part of the conversation when I think back to that day, but for some reason Temple stuck in my brain…

And one afternoon when I was sitting around moping and crying about the fact that I had not one clue what I wanted to do with my life, and more frustratingly, not one clue what I really want at all, I googled Temple Interior Design. And guess what? They were offering the certification course in one 6-day package at the Fort Washington campus which is 35 minutes from my house. And it was ridiculously affordable. I was interested, but my humungous fear of putting myself out there caused me to lightly mention it to my parents while they were both distracted, with the great hope that they both would ignore me and then I’d be off-the-hook. No such luck. They were so excited and demanded that I sign up. They ever offered to pay :) Lucky me!!

Well then the whole couple of months leading up to the class were also the weeks leading up to the wedding… and I knew that once the wedding was over I was going to be a little deflated and would need something to look forward to, but I was so so nervous because I was afraid the class was going to be full of wonderful design people who were snotty. And I was also afraid that I had no clue what to expect at all and I was going to be completely in over my head.

But alas, I was not. And it was so so amazing. And I loved every single second of it. And this week I’ll be posting more about the things I learned :) Can’t wait to share!!

No comments: