Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Gallery

Gallery Walls are all.the.rage.
Sometimes I love them. Other times I crave more relaxed simplicity.

Exhibit A

173881235582514135_aRr1PHrk_f 280560251755950143_Nq9kM5Sx_f

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

I love both. And good design, in my opinion, incorporates all things with incredible attention to balance. Unless a certain space is designated to make a bold statement by only using one theme, using a contrast of colors, fabrics, shapes, textures, etc. really completes the space. It allows our eyes to move through the space, while allowing them to rest in the proper places. Not too busy, not too boring. I’m sure when I have my own home I’ll not be able to decide on anything, but I hope I’m brave enough to vary different design elements like the two photos above.

In our last house, my mom and I used this picture as inspiration for our powder room.

277886239477202790_hwrVs6xh_f

We never did a full gallery wall, but used some of my mom’s photographs of Yosemite National Park along with an Ansel Adams print to create a very dramatic space. We did however, use the brown, black, and blue color scheme from the magazine photo. Black and white photos, black frames, bronze fixtures, a cream countertop, etc. This photo kept popping into my brain when I knew we were moving and I’d have the opportunity to re-do my bedroom. I love the shapes, sizes, and placement of this gallery wall. I tend to shy away from asymmetric design elements because I prefer the perfection of symmetry, and I’ve always felt this was a good mix.

When my parents gave me the Degas painting for Christmas I thought it would become the focal point of my bedroom gallery wall, but it’s actually too large compared to the scale of the room and would look terrible with surrounding frames. So I’ve turned to Pinterest for some DIY ideas to fill the spaces around my framed pictures.

255649716316992166_tgtgDt1I_b

5066618300290176_drJ6Tk7G_b

And this one is my favorite… So fun and clever!!

183451384791103162_JMnQQBNh_b

Hopefully I’ll be able to tackle some of these projects. I’d also love to purchase some original art to hang. If you know of any good artists who sell their work on etsy or other sites – let me know!!
And hopefully I’ll be able to start hanging soon!

No comments: