Monday, June 27, 2011

Madame Blueberry

Did any of you watch Veggie Tales as a kid? We did… and Madame Blueberry was definitely one of my favorites!!

blue Seriously… what a diva!

But today’s post isn’t about cartoons at all – she just popped into my head for the first time in a decade because I was eating the most delicious Blueberry Breakfast Cake EVER! It is so so so good. And so I decided to jump on the blogging-recipe-train and tell the whole world about it!!

This recipe was created by a dear friend of mine from work. She brought it in for her birthday a few summers ago. And when I was in high school my workspace was in a little corner in the main workroom. Everyone brought food and put it on the island. And of course I would walk past the island a zillion times and stand there to fold my brochures, stuff my packets, make my copies, etc. etc. etc. Well I couldn’t resist this cake. And I probably gained 10lbs. that very day – but it was so worth it :) Every summer since then, when blueberries are plentiful in the grocery stores my mom and I make this….

Ingredients:

1/2 lb. butter, softened

1/2 teas. vanilla

2 cups sugar

2 eggs

2 cups flour

1 teas. baking powder

1/4 teas. salt

1 cup sour cream

2 cups fresh blueberries

 

Crumb Topping Ingredients:

1 cup flour

1/2 cup sugar

1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar

1/4 teas. salt

1/2 teas. cinnamon

1/2 cup butter, softened

 

Directions:

Cream butter with sugar, add beaten eggs and vanilla. Mix dry ingredients separately. Using a mixer alternately add dry ingredients and sour cream to butter mixture. Gently fold in blueberries. Grease a 9x13 pan and spread in the cake batter. Then mix all the ingredients for the topping until crumbly, spread over cake. Bake at 350 for 50-55 minutes.

When it’s all said and done you’ll have something that looks like this :)  

My mom made it last weekend and it was a little more dry and browned on the edges and it was soo yummy. This week’s batch was more moist and was equally as delicious. Depending on how you like it you can add more or less blueberries and bake it for shorter or longer! And be prepared to eat it with a large glass of milk :)

Let me know how it turns out if you decide to make it!

No comments: