Thursday, October 13, 2011

The Saga of the Mean Monks Cafe

Last week Mark said he had a surprise for me and I was scared it was going to involve something requiring special footwear or a shady restaurant. Ironically our day involved both of those things – but they weren’t quite planned.

After church we went downtown to eat that this restuarant Mark found online. We had looked at the menu and thought it seemed like a reputable place. Unfortunately it turned into the saga of the mean Monk’s Cafe. First of all – Mapquest is stupid. I like google maps. I like google maps. I like google maps. After walking about 17-20 city blocks (I regretted my shoe choice and was in so much pain I was almost crying) because parking was crazy since everyone and their grandma was downtown to enjoy the beautiful weather, we got back in the car and finally found it using the gps on my phone. Then we spent ten minutes trying to find a parking space  and Mark parallel parked like a pro. FINALLY. With grumbling stomachs we walked to the restaurant JUST to be asked for ID. We looked at each other totally confused. I asked her, “Oh you have to be 21 to EAT here?!?” and then she nodded yes. So we backed up and we turned around and we walked out. Now our feet hurt, we were starving, and we felt like idiots. I guess if they don’t want to serve 20 years olds lunch and get our money that’s just fine. So we decided to drive home and get Primo Hoagies and call it a day. And the hoagies were DELICIOUS by the way. They hit the spot at 3:30 :) Then Mark brought out the real surprise. A pumpkin. He’s never carved his own so it was a big deal. And it was his idea to carve our initials - I felt like we were in middle school. I carved his and he carved mine- HAHA!  I don’t think his parents believed it was his idea and thought I was super lame. But I’m ok with that. It was sweet.

So the saga of the Mean Monks Cafe ended with a really good hoagie and a cute pumpkin.
Next weekend we’re going up the mountains and then we’ll each have our own.
Mine will be better than his ;)

No comments: