Sunday, February 27, 2011

Inspired Interiors: Degas Living Room

I have always loved browsing the internet and planning out the decor of my someday dream-house. I was doing that very thing this afternoon and realized I loved the focal point of the room I had envisioned: a painting by Degas. This inspired me to start my first weekly feature: Inspired Interiors! I will design a room based on a painting, a photograph, a movie, etc. and post my design board for you! I am going to also try to stay economically friendly so that I don't get too carried away :) Hopefully my design eye will get better over time and you'll enjoy the decor I post. Here goes nothing...

Degas Living Room

Inspiration: Dancer In Front of a Window by Edgar Degas
I think this is absolutely stunning and I could stare at it forever...



Interior: Living Room by Ikea

I envisioned this all in my aunt's front room because I absolutely love her house! It's a split level so the front room, kitchen, dinning room, and family room are on the main floor. I love the way the rooms all flow together but are their own space at the same time... Maybe someday I'll be lucky enough to inherit it from her - HAH right!!
I loved the blues from the painting so much! I went to Ikea's website and one of the rooms they have pictured features this area rug and I couldn't believe how perfect it was! I also love the way the easy chair, white accent pillow, and floor lamp are the same pattern (it's a bit hard to tell here but is much more clear on Ikea's site). Ikea sells this pattern in white, beige, black, grey, and blue fabric. I think if it was in my house, I would paint the walls white, use the blue fabric to make curtains and additional accent pillows for the couch, and let the blues in the painting dominate. In a large room the area rug would totally work, but in a small space it might compete with the painting. Additionally, I thought the strong lines in the rug mimicked the vertical panes of the windows and horizontal wooden floor boards in the painting. The couch/chair legs and the coffee table also help bring the wooden floor from the painting to the room. Finally, I felt the room needed a mirror because the ballerina is looking at herself!! - yes yes you probably scrolled back up and looked again and indeed found the base of a floor length mirror in the bottom right corner of the painting - it's easy to miss :) In a larger room, a floor length mirror on a stand would look gorgeous in the corner draped with a pair of ballet shoes or positioned next to a vintage dress form, but for a smaller space, I felt this gold mirror would be perfect. It's shape mirrors (get it? mirror? ohh so bad but so good) the dancers arms. Her pose from the waist up forms an oval. Ah. I just love it! I think it all works so beautifully - and best of all - the painting is the focal point! 

Throw Pillows - $12.99/$6.00
Couch - $400.00
Easy Chair - $59.99
Blue Vases - $12.99 for the set
Black Picture Frame - $29.99
Coffee Table - $199.00
Floor Lamp - $99.00
Gold Framed Mirror - $79.99
Blue Area Rug - $399.00


SO - What do you think? About the room and about the feature?

-R

No comments: